Niemiecki Rajd kawaleryjski 1916

Niemiecki Rajd kawaleryjski 1916

Postby AWu » Thursday, 9 December 2010, 19:12

Tłumaczenie na angielski kuleje momentami, ale materiał na tyle nietypowy, ze przeklejam z grupy Great War Spearhead:

.Account from Major Lohmann was supplied by jleutjen on another forum.
Lohmann was with the German 3rd Cavalry Division. The raid took place just north
of Minsk:

"In the morning 16 September 1916 I received the order from the 3rd Kavallerie
division to the march to Wilejka near Paszkowszna to destroy the train line
between Minsk and Smolensk. The order said for me one from the Jäger-Regiment zu
Pferde Nr. 8 a Eskadron composed of 2 machine guns of the machine gun unit of
the regiment under reserve second lieutenant Dietz and I mounted Field artillery
detachment from regiment II under second lieutenant Stromberg, as well as I NCO
and I private first class from the pioneer command of the 3.Kavallerie division.

The company, that the reserve second lieutenants Körting, Göring, Schlösser and
the second lieutenants Teßmar and Pfeffer joined, marched at 3:30 from property
Paszkowsna over Sosenka, Kowale, Korytnica in the afternoon after Zaciemie,
arrived there around 1 clock at night and remained unti. 17 September around
8:30 in the morning. The detachment found a very hosptable and cordial welcom
from the Polish owner of the property and its son.

As a patrol before the point I had one Vizewachtmeister (Sargent) and 10 riders
with the order to destroy all telephone and telegraph lines so in time that the
arrival of German riders in up to then the areas completely untouched by German
troops could not be betrayed. The patrol should itself first went to Wielka. It
carried these Orders out. In Sosenka the had succeeded in the last moment
preventing the hasty post office an official from the use of the telephone.

On 17 September the patrol before the point had reached Korzen in the morning at
4 o'clock. Since the population and the mayor took a hostile attitude - The
mayor said to have the orders of the Government to arrest the patrol and
dispatched a rider, the left patrol on the morning Rorzen, rode to meet the
detachment and met it in Gorawiec area. They reported more of an encounter on 16
September with a Cossack post at Sosenka, who had followed the despatch rider.
The patrol learned from the residents that a half regiments of Russian infantry
was on 16 September passed through just before the arrival of patrol at the that
place, from the east, marched through Sosenka towards Wilejka. At Gorawiec the
patrol discovered 15 Cossaks and several infantrymen - alleged a cattle recovery

On 17 September, 8:30 in the morning, began the long march of the detachment
from Zaciemie over Gluboczany - Koteli -Wielka - Terechy after Chotyn. In
Czerniewo from 2 to 3 o'clock they rested in the afternoon. There came some
Russians, apparent soldiers on leave. The inhabitants regarded us apparent as
Russians. It was only the two interpreters who were permitted to speak with the
population. Later they believed us, than we told them we were Frenchmen and come
the give Cossaks assistance.

Due to the great fatigue of the draught horses - we had already marched since 9
September before execution of the order for the demolition of the train line,
without a rest day - reaching of the point of becoming impossible at the coming
night. The detachment remained from there up to the 18th. At noon, in Ukraja
Lowicza, a small poor village, 1 km east of Chotyn. I sent out no more patrols,
nor continued the destruction of the telephone and telegraph equipment, I was
now thinking ahead, that if I damaged the facilities close to the railway, which
would be a disruption of public transport facilities and someone guessed what my
intentions are, they could lead to my discovery.

On 18 September, at noon, the detachment went over Jurkowicze Wladzimirowa into
that area continued north of Lady and then they advance eastward. If the order
should be implemented, the goal had to be achieved first of all fast. Therein
prevented however with the constantly worsening ways cannons and cars. The map
showed that in the proximity of the line wetlands were to be crossed. I decided
from there, near Lady to leave all wagons and the cannon under guidance of the
reserve second lieutenant Körting and sent them to march to Molode. There they
should wait for me to 4 o'clock in the afternoon the following day wait for me
and, if I up to then not arrived in Molode, independently to the 3.Kavallerie
division to look for connection. I with the resereve second lieutenants Dietz,
Göring, Schlösser, second lieutenant Teßmar and 42 select riders - in cap and
without lance flags - marched at 5 o'clock from the area north lady over
Antonopol on the paved road leading eastward after Baby-Las in the afternoon,
over over Zabrodzienie about 2 km southwest of the line. To reach station
Zodzino and implement the demolition there.

The night of 18 to 19 was very dark. The proposed route via Zabrodzienie was
apparently absent. A myriad of cross-intersecting path and in the swampy forests
of the east-Komionka river, most of which went for a short time in the forest
itself, made a getting along and get ahead in the desired direction almost
impossible. To take a guide from the did not seem to me to be a good idea.

Along the Uslaza flares flashed on our approach. And yet we seemed to be so
close to our goals. You could clearly see the glow of the train and hear the
whistle of the locomotive. We had always admired the excellent investment of the
Minsk-Smolensk railway in strategic terms.

Since it had become in the meantime 1 clock at night, and which could be made
time-consuming breakup with chance for success only in the darkness, I decided
with a heavy heart to remain in the forest south Rozsaszyno and further-march
with the break of dawn on the 19. The weather was cold, it rained violently. Man
and horse had to remain without food supply, in order of the inhabitants of the
surrounding villages would not see them.

With dusk on the 19 of September, the patrol proceeded over the Kamionka river
south the road between Rozsazsyno and Ostrow, extraordinarily handicapped by the
swampy trackless forest terrain in which even our leaders seemed way - close to
take the risk of being betrayed by a country's inhabitants, I knew to be less
great - either from another. East Ostrow we sat down on the main street and
reached in part to stick dams 12:45 at night the area 3 km east of the station
Zodzino. From there went the officers and half of the solders to walk to the
station. The hand horse were brought later.

At the station were two military trains, one of which drove off soon after our
arrival in the direction of Smolensk. On the railroad appeared railway
officials, in the building itself was a guard. Patrols were moving about the
tracks. The pre-dawn allowed the demolition squad at the to go unnoticed by
them, the high-rail position of the web offered the footwall enough coverage -
eight tracks of the double-track railway and a number of telegraph poles to
disrupt and destroy their wire line. Soon after the patrol was using the only
possible path, which was also our way out, as it's retreat. An enemy patral was
at Las Baby departed when we arrived. In Antonopol we stayed longer for men and
horses needed a rest. The day before, there were been about 30 infantry
thoroughly investigating the houses of the village - probably after us - because
we had to keep in Amonopol also on the Hinmarschege. The patrol spent the night
in Ganiewicze.

When we on the following day, 21 September, rode through Terechy, we saw the
footprints of marching troops. Our perception was confirmed by the strong
testimony of residents that on the day before Russian forces marched from the
east to west. In Koteli we found in our ride many people gathered who had
allegedly fled to Koteli the Cossack who had arrived at Nowa Hajna.

With the long march on 22 September we noticed attacks in the places affected by
us that all men would have to go between 18 and 45 years to the interior of
Russia. This request caused with the population, near as we could tell, not a
small fright. At Grzybowicze the patrol met a relay post of the Ulanen regiment
No. 13 belonging to the 9th Kavallerie division, which since 16 September was
the first contact with their own troops. A rest in Zaciemie with the hospitable
Pole already mentioned was disturbed immediately after the arrival by Cossaks,
which appeared before the property house on horses. Revolver shots chased them
away. When 30-40 Cossaks from Zaciemie approached, I had soldiers and drive the
Cossaks out, but could not however not prevent that a stronger post settled in
Tokary and larger number of riders at Zaciemie rode past to the west. In the
east rifle and cannon fire sounded. Locals reported on the advance of strong
Russian forces from the east and northeast. The situation had substantially
changed since my absence from the 3rd Kavallerie division. I decided, therefore,
immediately after Baturyno to ride to the command post located there of the
Ulanen-Regiments Nr. 13, whose stay informed me of the above-mentioned relay
posts, and possibly to make contact with him, To learn more about the Cavalry
Division operating on left wing of the army.

When the patrol arrived in the afternoon 22. in Baturyno, the leader of the
post, first lieutenant baron Freiherr v. Kapherr believed to have still
connection with its division. It became however on the following day more aware
of that the connection did not exist any longer. Also had two of his despatch
rider, among other things, a message from me to the third Cavalry Division on
the way to the 9th should bring Cavalry Division had not returned. But I learned
from him that the third Cavalry Division was at Wilejka, the 9th Cavalry
Division was at Starzynki until recently had been in combat, the Bavarian
Cavalry Division was in Wasjulki two days ago. I therefore decided, in just a
northwesterly direction to ride, as soon as possible in order to gain a
connection to the said cavalry divisions.

On 23 September, after 2 o'clock in the afternoon, the patrol moved and the
Ulanen posten from Baturyno over Huta -Malewicze - Wladyki. In Wladyki the point
discovered hostile riders. I took cover from there in the forest south of the
place. Shortly thereafter a squadron left Wladyki and trotted along the edge of
the forrest. The patrol recieved fire from flank at a distance of 30 pace and
retreated to the west while sustaining heavy losses. I galloped to the point to
meet with the officer and encouraged him to head into Wladyki, brake up an enemy
squadron in the village and so made the transition possible over the Ilia beside
the bridge damaged by the enemy, before the rear guard of the enemy squadron
could prevent it. From the edge of forest north of the river the patrol received
fire. When entering the way leading into the forest it discovered fallen baggage
karts. Under the cars had crept Russians , others stood beside the karts and
kept the hands high. Still others had looked for refuge in the forest. To
facilitate the gathering of the patrol after the difficult river crossing, the
soldiers dismounted and fired at the head of a squadron that developed west of
the forest on a hill. When we step out of the woods, the patrol received from
the shooter of this squadron heavy fire, they however, reached the forest and
swamp Roryt northeast of Nica without loss.

After short rest in formation we continued to ride without way under constant
use of the compass to the northwest. Hostile bivouac fires were avoided.
According to statement of a Cossack patrol captured latter, the 9th Kavallerie
division went directly past the headquarters of the 6th Russian Kavallerie
division. The division staff had known of it, our further march but can not
stop. While at one edge of the village were broken down two fences in order to
allow a way to approach by several enemy cavalry. They were gunned down in part
with a revolver, just as it happened to a Cossack, who, in the belief that
Russians have the right to an interview is linked with our people, and
accompanied her for some time. In the vicinity of a bivouac, the detachment
received fire from two sides. During the charge, two sergeants and a Jäger were
injured over a ravine. As their horses could not be captured, they were left
behind, unfortunately. Another horse was mortally wounded, his rider could also
not be accepted. An attack was about 20 Cossacks in our back no longer reached

In the further steps on the way Kowale-Rabun enemy baggage wagons and soldiers
were seen in houses. In Rabun many bivouac fires. The patrol turned therefore to
the north and reached the southwest Wilia Sosenka, after a long search we found
a ford, which the horses have to swim straight, without permit to reach the
northern shore. When climbing the steep slope a horse fell down into the river
and pulled one another with it. Both could not be saved, but their riders
followed the patrol, one of the horses bareback on one hand, the other on foot.

North of the forest paths trodden Wilia enabled the further march. Here, the
point came to a hostile artillery positions in front of a bivouac. On the call
of the post said the interpreter: "refugees, do not shoot." The guard did not
shoot and the patrol was able to, little turn aside to freely continue on to the
northwest. Came soon after in the West strong Russian rifle fire in the north
were single shots, we found ourselves directly behind the Russian lines. The
intermediate marsh appeared to be unoccupied. I therefore decided to choose my
path through the swamp. South Ostaszkow the swamp was so deep that the horses
got stuck in it. Only after several hours of efforts succeeded in they pull
horses with the exception of two Ulans. On the southern edge of Ostaszkow was a
guard. To our delight, it was a German. He was a member of the Bavarian Cavalry
Division. In the course of the day was taken with the divisional headquarters
compound of the third Cavalry Division sent my report by radio. On September 26,
7 clock in the morning, the patrol came home after ten days.

Lieutenant R. Körting was with the rest of the squadron, the guns and two
machine guns, as agreed had remained in Molode, until 19 September, 4 clock in
the afternoon. In the night of the 19th the detachment had dispersed by machine
gun fire an enemy patrol. When I had not arrived in Molodeon the 19th, by 4
clock in the afternoon, reserve Lieutenant Körting moved out in night marches
and arrived on 21 Sosenka in the Wilia. The Division crossed the river at a ford
before the arrival of two Cossack Squadrons on the southern riverbank. Before
noon on the 21st when they reached the third Cavalry Division at Wilejka .

The station Zodzino, took place in the vicinity of the blast was about 130 km
behind the Russian front. The execution of the order was only possible because
in the war after all necessary luck favored him and everything possible has been
followed. Just to mention one thing: the horses neighing was the treacherous
habit, by whenever they neighing, received a blow on the neck. After 2-3 days,
they left it entirely. At the head rode two officers who constantly compared
with the many cross-intersecting path and the maps that were very inaccurate,
with reality. I even verified the paths. Later, patrols were sent out no more,
not to be betrayed.

The proposal of the lead officer of hiding to be in the woods after the
destruction of the enemy squadron at Wladyki, would have undoubtedly led to our
capture or destruction. Only the immediate attack on the superior enemy allowed
the breakthrough and salvation.

The unshakable belief in the success led to victory and success of the whole

The ride took in the marshy area of the Berezina, and ended only about 12 km
from Stu Dianka, where once there had been 1812, the infamous Berezina passage
of Napoleon. The squadron was then the furthest penetrated from all parts of the
East German troops proposed. Drawing a line on the map from St. Petersburg to
Constantinople, the scene of activity Zodzino is located just west of it, and if
you set the break by 25 km deep enemy maneuver, would this have been well known
in all probability to be impossible, namely -- In war, to manage the destruction
of the enemy's main rail line 130 km behind the Russian front without
significant losses."
Last edited by AWu on Thursday, 1 January 1970, 02:00, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Posts: 18446
Joined: Monday, 16 October 2006, 13:40
Location: Warszawa

Return to Historia I wojny św.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest